Favorite Films of All Time, No. 36

 


In 2022 I'm revisiting my favorite films of all time, doing a countdown of the Top 50 throughout the year. Check back each Friday for the latest installment in the countdown of films, which include releases through 2019. Agree? Disagree? Have a thought on the choice? Be sure to share in the comments below!

Gail: The Barden Bellas went deep into the archive for that song, John. I remember singing it with my own a cappella group.
John: And what group was that, Gail?
Gail: The Minstrel Cycles, John.
John: Well, that's an unfortunate name.

Pitch Perfect (2012)
Starring
: Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, Brittany Snow, Anna Camp, Skyler Astin, Ben Platt, Adam Devine, Elizabeth Banks, and John Michael Higgins
Director: Jason Moore
About: A movie about a cappella singers? Right. That's what I remember thinking when I read about Pitch Perfect, which was based on a non-fiction book about the collegiate a cappella scene. Suffice to say none of that prepared me for what I saw when I visited the theater in September of 2012 for Pitch Perfect. The film itself is a whip-smart delight, with a great cast and tons of memorable moments, lines, characters and musical numbers. Kay Cannon was a writer on 30 Rock and was about to kick off her new series New Girl, but she hit a home run with the script for Pitch Perfect. Moore, the director, did a great job pacing the film and making the most of his cast and presentation. I loved the characters here, from the supporting pieces like the announcers played by Banks and Higgins to the core characters. Wilson is hilarious as Fat Amy, Devine hums as Bumper, while Snow, Camp, Astin and Platt are all great. But what puts it over-the-top is Kendrick, who brings great comedic timing and charm. She's a delight in all her scenes and her singing is top notch, too. The film instantly warmed my heart and has over the course of the many, many times I've seen it. Hence how it ended up on this list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43