Best of the Small Screen, Streaming Series No. 8

 


Welcome to this year's exploration of TV, the Best of the Small Screen. Throughout the year I'll be looking at my favorite shows in four categories: Network Sitcoms, Network Dramas, Cable Series and Streaming Series. We'll cap the exploration with my Top 10 shows of all time regardless of format. Check back each Saturday for another installment in the countdown!

Marianne: "I Wasn't Aware That My Eye Line Fell Under The Jurisdiction Of School Rules."

Normal People (2020)
Starring:
Daisy Edgar-Jones and Paul Mescal
Favorite Episodes: Episode 1.03; Episode 1.05; Episode 1.10; Episode 1.12
About: The greatest thing about the proliferation of streaming sites has been the rise of the limited series. We've seen them pop up throughout the past few years, some of which are devastating and powerful. On this list, I have a few limited series, the first being Normal People, based on the novel from Sally Rooney. It isn't often something comes along that hooks and surprises me, sticking with me through its emotional resonance long after it's over. Normal People is that series. It dropped on Hulu, a co-production with the BBC, that was released in 2020 during the midst of the pandemic. It's billed as a romance and I didn't think much going in. But the first couple episodes, and the performances of Edgar-Jones and Mescal stuck with me. So, I pushed on. As someone who watches a ton of new series, that doesn't often happen. What I got was something incredibly powerful and moving. It was emotionally engaging and gripping. I tore through the 12 episodes and I thought it about it for a long time after the story concluded. The performances here are incredible, as is the story-telling. It's a beautiful example of the power of the limited series, credit to the team that adapted it and to the two stars who pour themselves into these roles and create a beautiful piece of art. Due to the content and the storyline, it won't be for everyone. It's also ultimately bittersweet in its emotional conclusion, but I couldn't think of a list of streaming series without dropping it on there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43