Favorite Films of All Time, No. 27


 In 2022 I'm revisiting my favorite films of all time, doing a countdown of the Top 50 throughout the year. Check back each Friday for the latest installment in the countdown of films, which include releases through 2019. Agree? Disagree? Have a thought on the choice? Be sure to share in the comments below!

Rorschach: You see, Doctor, God didn't kill that little girl. Fate didn't butcher her and destiny didn't feed her to those dogs. If God saw what any of us did that night he didn't seem to mind. From then on I knew... God doesn't make the world this way. We do.

Watchmen (2009)
Starring
: Jackie Earle Haley, Malin Akerman, Patrick Wilson, Matthew Goode, and Billy Crudup
Director: Zack Snyder
About: Watchmen is a true work of art. The graphic novel sits on Time Magazine's list of the 250 greatest American novels. The story is intense, timely and gripping. And Snyder's adaptation is a very literal and faithful adaptation of the source material. Some were critical of that. However, I thought it was beautiful and fascinating. I remember seeing it in the theater for the first time. I came into the tory cold and was blown away. I saw it on a midnight screening, and went back the next day despite the fact it's a nearly three hour film. I saw it four times in theaters, and have seen it a number of times since. I've also read the graphic novel and other works dissecting the complex worldview. Make no mistake, the worldview contained in the film is dark. The world it presents is dour, and it's a dim take on the nature of heroes. That's what makes it so fascinating to me and yet so heart-breaking. I loved the style and use of slow motion and music that Snyder employed. It's by far his best work as a cinematic artist, though I contend he doesn't always get the credit he deserves. It also features some very good performances. Haley is incredible in his role, as is Crudup as Dr. Manhattan. It's not an easy film to watch but it's one that I find incredibly moving and compelling, which is how it ended up on this list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43