Favorite Films of All Time, No. 24


 

In 2022 I'm revisiting my favorite films of all time, doing a countdown of the Top 50 throughout the year. Check back each Friday for the latest installment in the countdown of films, which include releases through 2019. Agree? Disagree? Have a thought on the choice? Be sure to share in the comments below!

Mia: [During her audition] My aunt used to live in Paris. I remember when she used to come home, and tell us... these stories about being abroad. And... I remember... she told us once that she jumped into the river once. Barefoot. She smiled.

[sings]

Mia: Leapt without looking, / And tumbled into the Seine. / The water was freezing. / She spent a month sneezing, / But said she would do it again. / Here's to the ones who dream, / Foolish as they may seem. / Here's to the hearts that ache. / Here's to the mess we make.

La La Land (2016)
Starring:
Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, and J.K. Simmons
Director: Damien Chazelle
About: Sometimes you see a film and its perfect beauty just hits you. That was the case with me and La La Land. In 2016, Chazelle delivered his follow up film to Whiplash. If you've been following this countdown, you know how much I love Whiplash. This film is even better. Chazelle is a masterful storyteller, and his visuals and characters are beautiful. That's the case with La La Land, a musical that's breathtaking to behold and full of beautiful music. It's ultimately heart-breaking, but even that is beautiful. Gosling and Stone are perfect in the film, too. It's got so much beauty and heart, which is why it was nominated for 14 Academy Awards. It won six, but for me it wasn't enough. I loved the film and still love the way the story unfolds. Chazelle delivered gold again, and this is my favorite of his films. That's why it ended up on this list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43