2022 Broncos' Season, Pre-Season Week 2

 


Pre-Season Week 2: Buffalo Bills 42, Denver Broncos 15
Pre-Season Record: 1-1 (1-0 Home)
Key Play: With the first half winding down and the Broncos trailing 21-6, Bills' quarterback Case Keenum found O.J. Howard in the end zone to push the halftime score to 28-6. The Broncos never came back.

Recap: The first week was a cake walk for the Broncos but the second week was a lopsided affair. Nathaniel Hackett decided not to play any starters, and while that accounted for the spread early in the game, the Broncos second and third team didn't fare well against their Buffalo counterparts, either. That makes things tough as the Broncos will cut five more players this week and then have one more game next Saturday before getting down to the initial Final 53. The rash of injuries coupled by some pitiful defensive performances have to give the team pause. I hope to see more bubble players fighting hard next week as the Broncos make the final push. For now, I've revised my projections some.

Final Roster Projections:

QBs (2):
* Russell Wilson
* Josh Johnson

About: I like Brett Rypien and I thought he played well Saturday. It's a numbers game. The Broncos can't really afford to keep three quarterbacks, and probably don't need to with Wilson. I think Johnson wins the No. 2 job and we can only hope Rypien stays on the Practice Squad.

RBs (3):
* Javonte Williams
* Melvin Gordon
* Mike Boone

About: The number and people in this lineup seem like locks. I was encouraged by what I saw from Boone on Saturday.

WR (6):
* Courtland Sutton
* Jerry Jeudy
* K.J. Hamler
* Montrell Washington
* Seth Williams
* Jalen Virgil

About: I think the Broncos could keep seven here and still face a tough cut, but I think the numbers dictate the need to stick with six. I love what I've seen from Washington, Williams and Virgil, and I think the rookies give them some return game options.

TE (4):
* Albert Okwuegbunam
* Greg Dulcich
* Eric Saubert
* Andrew Beck

About: Another tough group with talent. The injury to Dulcich makes it tougher. He and Albert O. are locks, while I've switched up to believe the versatility of Saubert and Beck will make the difference.

Offensive Line (9):
* Garrett Bolles
* Calvin Anderson
* Cam Flemming
* Netane Muti
* Dalton Risner
* Quinn Meinerz
* Graham Glasgow
* Billy Turner
* Lloyd Cushenberry

About: Glasgow gives them cover at center, while Turner can swing between Tackle and Guard. Otherwise, I'd say that most of the choices here, including the top three tackles, top three guards and Cushenberry is set.

Defensive Line (6):
* Dre'Mont Jones
* D.J. Jones
* Deshawn Williams
* McTelvin Agim
* Mike Purcell
* Eyioma Uwazurike

About: No one really looked good up front Saturday, but I think the starters are set, while Purcell and Agim are locked in. The final spot is a bit in flux, but I went with Uwazurike.

Linebackers (10):
* Randy Gregory
* Bradley Chubb
* Baron Browning
* Malik Reed
* Nik Bonitto
* Jonas Griffith
* Josey Jewel
* Justin Strnad
* Alex Singleton
* Joe Schobert

About: I went with 10 here because injuries, particularly to Gregory and Griffith, will impact early season availability. This is also an area where the Broncos need depth and will need Special Teams players. Bonitto hasn't been sharp, but it's hard to imagine the Broncos letting him go. The biggest question here is the veteran Schobert, but I think he makes it.

Defensive Backs (10):
* Patrick Surtain II
* Ronald Darby
* K'Waun Williams
* Michael Ojemudia
* Damarri Mathis
* Justin Simmons
* Kareem Jackson
* Caden Sterns
* P.J. Locke
* Delarrin Turner-Yell

About: I went with 10 here, too. Surtain, Darby, Williams, Simmons and Jackson are locks. I think Sterns is a lock, too. So the questions become who rounds out the roster. Ojemudia has been knocked out of each of the pre-season games, but he still seems to have locked in his spot. As a fifth corner, I think the Broncos keep a rookie in Mathis. At safety, Locke seems locked in as the fourth safety. Beyond him, it's a question. I thought Jamar Johnson had the edge last week, but he got released. I think that means another rookie, Turner-Yell, makes the final group.

Special Teams (3):
* Brandon McManus
* Sam Martin
* Jacob Bobenmoyer

About: This group remains unchanged and I doubt we'll see a change barring an injury.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43