2022 Broncos' Season, Pre-Season Week 3

 


Pre-Season Week 3: Denver Broncos 23, Minnesota Vikings 13
Pre-Season Record: 2-1 (2-0 Home)
Key Play: In the Second Quarter, with 48 seconds left and the Broncos leading 10-7, Baron Browing picked up a fumble and returned it for a touchdown, giving the Broncos a 10-point lead at the half.

Recap: There are a few basic goals of pre-season. The first is to stay healthy, and for the most part the Broncos accomplished that. The second is to get reps for young players to find who will make your final 53-man roster the best it can be. Often its these last pre-season games that prove the final test for the last seven or eight players. This year was no different. After a tough game last Saturday, the Broncos looked sharper in their final pre-season game. A number of young players made contributions and that's going to make the next few days, and the final roster cut downs, that much harder. Below is my fearless final prediction.

Quarterbacks (2):
* Russell Wilson
* Brett Rypien

About: This is a change and I still don't know how I feel. The competition between Johnson and Rypien has been even, and honestly it could come down to someone else. But as of now, I'm throwing in with Rypien.

Running Backs (3):
* Javonte Williams
* Melvin Gordon
* Mike Boone

About: This feels like a lock and hasn't much changed.

WR (6):
* Courtland Sutton
* Jerry Jeudy
* K.J. Hamler
* Montrell Washington
* Seth Williams
* Jalen Virgil

About: This is the hardest group to read. I know many thing Tyrie Cleveland gives them a Special Teams edge. We haven't seen him in camp. I liked Brandon Johnson, but his injury may hold him back. I like Kendall Hinton, but I think Williams and Virgil offer more possibilities. I won't be surprised with anything with the last two, but the top four are locked.

Tight Ends (4):
* Albert Okwuegbunam
* Greg Dulcich
* Eric Saubert
* Andrew Beck

About: Another nearly impossible group to handicap. I went with Saubert and Beck over Tomlinson, but this will be close either way.

Offensive Line (9):
* Garrett Bolles
* Calvin Anderson
* Billy Turner
* Netane Muti
* Dalton Risner
* Graham Glasgow
* Quinn Meinerz
* Lloyd Cushenberry
* Luke Wattenberg

About: It seems Wattenberg is in, which means more tough decisions. I went with Billy Turner over Cam Fleming, but I could see this going either way.

Defensive Line (6):
* Dre'Mont Jones
* D.J. Jones
* Deshawn Williams
* Mike Purcell
* McTelvin Agim
* Eyioma Uwazurike

About: Another interesting group. I went with the young guy in Uwazurike to round out the group.

Outside Linebackers (5):
* Randy Gregory
* Bradley Chubb
* Baron Browning
* Nik Bonitto
* Malik Reed

About: The toughest cut is Jonathan Cooper. He has some potential. I could see him going in over Reed, but that's where it comes down to at this position.

Middle Linebacker (5):
* Jonas Griffith
* Josey Jewell
* Justin Strnad
* Alex Singleton
* Kana'i Mauga

About: Another interesting group. Griffith seems to be healing, which is good. I went with Mauga after Saturday's game. He was everywhere and I think adds a good bit of depth and tenacity.

Cornerback (5):
* Patrick Surtain II
* Ronald Darby
* K'Waun Williams
* Michael Ojemudia
* Damarri Mathis

About: I like Essang Bassey but I just didn't see enough to vault him over Ojemudia, who has seemed to hold that No. 4 spot. I went with the rookie Mathis as the final slot here.

Safety (5):
* Justin Simmons
* Kareem Jackson
* Caden Sterns
* P.J. Locke
* Dellarin Turner-Yell

About: Sterns and Locke are secure as the second group. I think Turner-Yell makes it as a rookie with potential.

Special Teams (3):
* Brandon McManus
* Sam Martin
* Jacob Bobenmoyer

About: Could it be Corliss Waitman at punter? It could. I get the potential. But somehow I think we stay with Martin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43