Best of the Small Screen, Cable Series No. 8

 


Welcome to this year's exploration of TV, the Best of the Small Screen. Throughout the year I'll be looking at my favorite shows in four categories: Network Sitcoms, Network Dramas, Cable Series and Streaming Series. We'll cap the exploration with my Top 10 shows of all time regardless of format. Check back each Saturday for another installment in the countdown!

Walter White: Who are you talking to right now? Who is it you think you see? Do you know how much I make a year? I mean, even if I told you, you wouldn't believe it. Do you know what would happen if I suddenly decided to stop going into work? A business big enough that it could be listed on the NASDAQ goes belly up. Disappears. It ceases to exist, without me. No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!

Breaking Bad (2008-2013)
Starring
: Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul, Anna Gunn, Betsy Brandt, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Dean Norris, and Giancarlo Esposito
Favorite Episodes: "Pilot," Episode 1.01; "Crazy Handful of Nothin'," Episode 1.06; "Grilled," Episode 2.02; "Better Caul Saul," Episode 2.08; "ABQ," Episode 2.13; "One Minute," Episode 3.07; "The Fly," Episode 3.10; "Half Measures," Episode 3.12; "Full Measure," Episode 3.13; "Hermanos," Episode 4.08; "Crawl Space," Episode 4.11; "Face Off," Episode 4.13; "Live Free or Die," Episode 5.01; "Say My Name," Episode 5.07; "Ozymandias," Episode 5.14; "Felina," Episode 5.16
About: I know for some that for many people, this is the greatest series of all time. I didn't catch Breaking Bad when it was running. I started it after the series concluded. I was moved by the fans that praised it. But at the outset, I couldn't quite understand. Still, I powered my way through and by the time I got to season three, I could understand the appeal. It's incredibly well acted and the story takes some engaging turns. Cranston is great in the lead role, and the rest of the cast is great, too. It's possible my favorite season is the fourth. Esposito was so incredible, Gus was probably my favorite character. I enjoyed the series and I respect the craft and storytelling. There are some incredible episodes, especially down the stretch. That's a credit to Vince Gilligan, and his work creating this world and telling this story. However, for me, it's not at the top of the heap. There was an emotional component that I never quite reached here the same way as with other series. It's well made, and it deserves a place on this list. But it isn't the top of the heap for me the way it is for others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43