Favorite Films of All Time, No. 19

 


In 2022 I'm revisiting my favorite films of all time, doing a countdown of the Top 50 throughout the year. Check back each Friday for the latest installment in the countdown of films, which include releases through 2019. Agree? Disagree? Have a thought on the choice? Be sure to share in the comments below!

Red: [to Andy] Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

Andy Dufresne: [in letter to Red] Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Starring
: Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, Bob Gunton, William Sadler, Clancy Brown, and James Whitmore
Director: Frank Darabont
About: When most people think about Stephen King, they think about horror films. King is, indeed, good at writing horror stories, but his library of work extends far beyond that. The Shawshank Redemption is based on one of his short stories, and it's as powerful in print as it is on screen. Darabont adapted the story for the screen in 1994 and it's been a favorite with critics and audiences ever since. And for good reason. It's a beautiful and powerful story of friendship and hope in an unlikely place: a maximum security prison. Red and Andy's relationship is the heart of the story, and it's beautiful. The story has some tough and dark moments, but it also has some interesting and fun moments. It is also deeply emotional. I've seen the film dozens of times, and yet I'm always stirred by the exchanges between Andy and Red. I'm always stirred about what the film says about Hope. In fact, I put two of my favorite quotes, which appear at different times in the film, up at the top. Red has lost his hope. Andy hasn't. Andy knows it's a gift to give his friend, and he does. I love the film and I suspect I'm not alone. That's why it's on the list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43