Favorite Films of All Time, No. 13

 


In 2022 I'm revisiting my favorite films of all time, doing a countdown of the Top 50 throughout the year. Check back each Friday for the latest installment in the countdown of films, which include releases through 2019. Agree? Disagree? Have a thought on the choice? Be sure to share in the comments below!

Warren Schmidt: I know we're all pretty small in the big scheme of things, and I suppose the most you can hope for is to make some kind of difference, but what kind of difference have I made? What in the world is better because of me?

About Schmidt (2002)
Starring:
Jack Nicholson, Hope Davis, Dermot Mulroney, June Squibb, and Kathy Bates
Director: Alexander Payne
About: What does it mean to leave a legacy? It doesn't have to be a grand legacy, just something to let you know your life mattered; that you made a difference. When we begin this film, Warren Schmidt (Nicholson) is retiring after spending his whole career at the same company. Soon, he discovers that his life's work has been brushed aside quickly in the wake of his retirement. His wife dies and he heads to his daughter's wedding. He doesn't feel like he's done anything right. He feels lost. The beauty of Payne's script is this journey we take with Schmidt as he looks back, looks forward and, mostly, takes stock. There is plenty of fun and humor. I love the performance from Bates, who has some of the best moments in the film down the stretch. But, for me, what elevated it to this position is the closing. We've taken this journey with Schmidt. We feel his pain and suddenly a burst of light comes into his life. Nicholson's performance, especially his expressions and emotions in those closing moments is nothing short of breath-takingly beautiful. It has long stuck with me and is one of the many reasons I deeply appreciate this film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43