Favorite Films of All Time, No. 9

 


In 2022 I'm revisiting my favorite films of all time, doing a countdown of the Top 50 throughout the year. Check back each Friday for the latest installment in the countdown of films, which include releases through 2019. Agree? Disagree? Have a thought on the choice? Be sure to share in the comments below!

Alicia: We're not exactly the Washington Post, okay?
Michael McDougal: No, we're not. We run stupid headlines because we think they're funny. We run maimings on the front page because we got good art. And I spend three weeks bitching about my car because it sells papers. But at least it's the truth. As far as I can remeber we never ever, ever knowingly got a story wrong, until tonight.

The Paper (1994)
Starring
: Michael Keaton, Glenn Close, Robert Duvall, Randy Quaid, Marissa Tomei, and Jason Alexander
Director: Ron Howard
About: I have long had a passion for the field of journalism. You saw another film about tenacious journalists, Spotlight, in this countdown. I also have a love for the classic All The President's Men. But, it was this film that inspired me on my first career path. I have a degree in Radio, Television and Film Production, but my heart was long in print journalism. I worked on the news paper in high school and all four years of college. I even worked for a set of small, community papers as my first job out of college, moving all the way to managing editor. I loved the idea of the news room and breaking stories. This film, from Ron Howard, plays right into that love. If anything, it heightened it. Keaton plays the metro editor for a New York City paper. He's got a pregnant wife (Tomei), a lucrative job offer and a huge story all brewing in the same 24-hour period in which the film takes place. The talented cast plays roles with the paper. Keaton is the heart of the film, and it's one of his most under-rated performances in a string of great films in the 1990s. I love the humor, the drama and the way this moves through the day and the process of working right up to the deadline, or even a little past that, to get the story right. It's long been a personal favorite and was an easy selection for my Top 10 films.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43