Favorite Films of All Time, No. 5

 


In 2022 I'm revisiting my favorite films of all time, doing a countdown of the Top 50 throughout the year. Check back each Friday for the latest installment in the countdown of films, which include releases through 2019. Agree? Disagree? Have a thought on the choice? Be sure to share in the comments below!

John Hammond: I don't think you're giving us our due credit. Our scientists have done things which nobody's ever done before...
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

Jurassic Park (1993)
Starring:
Jeff Goldblum, Laura Dern, Sam Neill, Richard Attenborough, and Samuel L. Jackson
Director: Steven Spielberg
About: There is a way people of a certain age talk about seeing the original Star Wars on the big screen. It was a film that opened their eyes to wonder and the power of cinema. I was born in 1981. I was 12 when I saw Jurassic Park on the big screen and that sense of wonder is the exact way I'd describe the experience. I was blown away by this story and the effects, and more importantly the way Spielberg crafted the film that pulled me into the world of wonder. I still remember that feeling all these years later when I see the film. That's the power of a well-crafted story, one that has made a connection and will stick with you for years. As we begin the final stretch, the Top 5, these are all films that have made a deep emotional connection to me. This one kicked off an interest in the writings of Michael Crichton, too. I read the book and quickly tore through the rest of his novels. I loved it. I still love the film. And while the wonder of the craft still gets to me, it's the deeper text of the film that speaks to me. The idea of the inherent dangers of playing God was central to much of Crichton's writings, which often looked at the cutting edge of science and technology. This film captures that, especially in a few key exchanges, and I love the way those arguments are presented. It's long been a personal favorite and it makes sense that it kicks off the Top 5 for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43