Favorite Films of All Time, No. 7

 


In 2022 I'm revisiting my favorite films of all time, doing a countdown of the Top 50 throughout the year. Check back each Friday for the latest installment in the countdown of films, which include releases through 2019. Agree? Disagree? Have a thought on the choice? Be sure to share in the comments below!

Michael: [to the Don, quietly] Just lie here, Pop. I'll take care of you now. I'm with you now. I'm with you. [he takes the Don's hand and kisses it, the Don begins to cry]

The Godfather (1972)
Starring
: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, James Caan, John Cazale, Talia Shire, and Diane Keaton
Director: Francis Ford Coppola
About: This film is the oldest film on my list, having celebrated 50 years in release this year. I remember the first time I saw it. I was in high school. I've seen it more than a dozen times, and seen its sequels as well. But I remember that first time, how captivated I was with the story and the characters. It's beautifully written, a combination of Mario Puzo and Coppola. The script is great, full of iconic lines and scenes. But it's the story that sucks you in and hooks you. It's the story of a man who wanted to go his own way, but his weakness was his family. And it was that love of family that sucked him into a life and a role he'd long sworn to avoid. The double meaning of lines and scenes has always struck me, particularly the one I selected above, where Michael sets aside his plan for his life to safeguard his family. It's a film that's about organized crime, yes, but it's really about family. If you love the film, I suggest checking out The Offer on Paramount+, a series made about the making of this film. It will enhance your appreciation for all that Coppola and this cast achieved. Even 50 years later, this remains a riveting and incredible work of art.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43