Best of 2022, TV Series


 

We've reached the end of 2022 and as part of my exploration of the best of the year, in this second post of Day 1, I offer my favorite TV shows of the year. Below is my Top 10, plus 10 more honorable mention shows for those looking to catch up on what they missed over the holidays.

Honorable Mentions:

20. Five Days at Memorial (Apple TV+)
19. Station 11 (HBO Max)
18. Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+)
17. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Season 4 (Amazon Prime)
16. The Offer (Paramount+)
15. Minx, Season 1 (HBO Max)
14. Andor, Season 1 (Disney+)
13. Stranger Things, Season 4 (Netflix)
12. 9-1-1, Season 5-6 (Fox)
11. Only Murders in the Building, Season 2 (Hulu)

And now, on to the Top 10.

10.  We Own This City (HBO Max)
About:
This one from David Simon is based on a true story, focusing on a corrupt unit of cops in the city of Baltimore. Jon Bernthal leads the cast and does an amazing job in the lead role. The action and story-telling crackle here, but it’s also rich with emotion and exploration of a system that allows this kind of corruption to persist. For fans of Simon, this is a can’t miss.

9. The Old Man, Season 1 (FX on Hulu)
About:
Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow take the lead in this series. I loved the pilot, the writing and the way the early episodes pulled you into the story. Bridges and Lithgow crackle in the lead roles as well. I didn’t love the way this one wrapped up, and I can’t escape the feeling it might have been better as a limited series, but I still enjoyed the heck out of the first season.

8. The Orville, Season 3 (Hulu)
About:
After two seasons on FOX and a long layoff, Seth Macfarlane’s space odyssey returned with a third season that was incredibly well put together. It was emotional, engaging and different. It was the best of the show’s three seasons and I hope it earns them a chance to keep telling stories from this world.

7. Bosch: Legacy, Season 1 (Freevee)
About:
Bosch was one of my favorite series of all time. Titus Welliver is incredible in the lead role. I was excited to see it continue, as it switched to the free Amazon platform Freevee. The first season was great, allowing Welliver and Madison Lintz to grow into their characters. It also ends on one heck of a cliffhanger. I’m glad Bosch is back!

6. Abbott Elementary, Season 1-2 (ABC)
About:
We all need a little joy in our lives. Some have noted that I’m not as big on sitcoms as dramas, which is fair. But when a sitcom hits for me, it really works. I love Abbott Elementary, which focuses on a public school in Philadelphia and is shot in the style of The Office. Quinta Brunson does a beautiful job creating this world and starring as Janine. It’s warm, funny and engaging.

5. Severance, Season 1 (Apple TV+)
About
: I love Apple TV+ as a streaming service. They delivered a number of strong shows this year, including this new drama from Ben Stiller. I loved the way the story built to a slow burn, with a finale that was the most memorable episode of the year for me. Adam Scott and the rest of the cast are great. This is well worth checking out.

4. The English (Amazon Prime)
About
: Emily Blunt and Chaske Spencer take the lead in this western from Hugo Blick. It features about the best pilot I saw in 2022 in a tale that pulls you in and hooks you right away. The performances are incredible and the story is, at times, heart-breaking. It was one of the most unique things I saw in 2022.

3. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, Season 1 (Paramount+)
About:
Paramount+ going all the way back to when it was CBS All Access built its original programming around being the exclusive home of Star Trek original content. We’ve seen a number of series, but none has been like Strange New Worlds, which takes us back to the Enterprise under the command of Capt. Christopher Pike (Anson Mount). Some of our famous characters, like Spock (Ethan Peck), are here, and the stories were fascinating and engaging. I loved every episode and can’t wait to see this one continue.

 2. For All Mankind, Season 3 (Apple TV+)
About:
Since the streaming series began, I’ve thought For All Mankind was the best show on Apple TV+. The third season didn’t reach the heights of the phenomenal second season but I still loved the stories and the way it was put together. It continues to be one of the best—and one of the most overlooked—series on television.

1. The Bear, Season 1 (FX on Hulu)
About
: Sometimes a show can surprise you. That’s what happened with The Bear, an eight-episode series about a chef (Jeremy Allen White) who returns home to Chicago to take over the family sandwich restaurant. The description does little to describe what awaits, which is an emotional, engaging and at times funny series that pulls you in and won’t let go. I binged it in a day and I can’t wait to see where it goes next. Nothing I saw on TV in 2022 moved me more than The Bear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43