Favorite Films of All Time, No. 1

 


In 2022 I'm revisiting my favorite films of all time, doing a countdown of the Top 50 throughout the year. Check back each Friday for the latest installment in the countdown of films, which include releases through 2019. Agree? Disagree? Have a thought on the choice? Be sure to share in the comments below!

Jake Tyler Brigance: What is it in us that seeks the truth? Is it our minds or is it our hearts?

A Time to Kill (1995)
Starring:
Matthew McCouaghey, Sandra Bullock, Samuel L. Jackson, Kevin Spacey, Donald Sutherland, Kiefer Sutherland, Oliver Platt, Charles S. Dutton, and Brenda Fricker
Director: Joel Schumacher
About: This journey began back in January, and now we get to my favorite film of all time. I know after all the anticipation, you might be curious how this ended up on top. I mentioned last week that Batman is my favorite superhero. Ironically, Schumacher made what I consider to be the worst live-action Batman film. But I can never totally be out on him because he also directed my favorite film of all time. This film, based on the John Grisham novel of the same name, has a lot of rich themes. In many ways it's something of a modern update on To Kill a Mockingbird. It's set in the south, it features a trial and it looks at issues of race, culture and justice. It also presents an argument for fidelity in marriage and features some fascinating arguments, discussions and dialogue. It is buoyed by powerful performances from an all-star cast. McConaughey, Bullock, Jackson and Donald Sutherland, in particular, are great. There are many moments that stir me emotionally though I've seen the movie about 50 times. In fact, I've never been able to get through McConaughey's closing argument without being moved to tears. Throughout this journey I've noted the importance of an emotional connection and larger ideas as something that draws me to films. That's what we get here. From the first time I saw this film, I've been drawn to it. And, steadily over the years, it's moved up my list. It's been atop the list for more than a decade and I sometimes wonder if that will ever change. It isn't the most famous or popular of Grisham's adaptations, but to me it's the most stirring. I love the film and I hope more people see it and learn to appreciate it as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43