Best of 2022, Animated Features

 


We're in the midst of Awards Season, with the Academy Award nominations coming out just Tuesday. I'm taking this opportunity to look back at my favorites of 2022, today with my favorite animated feature films.

10. Minions: The Rise of Gru
About:
This little summer film was fun and worked for what it is. It focused a lot on the Minions, which are fun, but also provided an origin story for Steve Carell's Gru. I enjoyed it and thought it was fun for the family.

9. Luck
About:
This animated feature debuted on Apple TV+. I wasn't sure what to expect but I enjoyed the story and the animated style. It ended up pulling me in and capturing my heart.

8. Turning Red
About:
This Pixar film got released straight to Disney+, which is a shame. I hope more people get a chance to check out this story, which had wonderful characters and a strong animated style.

7. Chip N Dale: Rescue Rangers
About:
I wasn't sure what to expect here, but Andy Samberg and John Mulaney are great as the main voices. This had a really fun approach to the material and just the right amount of nostalgia.

6. The Bad Guys
About:
This was a Spring release in theaters that's now on Peacock. I enjoyed the story and the voice work from a cast that includes Sam Rockwell and Awkwafina. This was more engaging and had a better story than I expected.

5. Lightyear
About:
The Pixar film that made it to theaters, this is supposed to be something of a Toy Story origin. I know it didn't work for everyone but I found it emotionally engaging. I enjoyed it and the story it told.

4. Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
About:
Taking off from the series of shorts, this animated shell voiced by Jenny Slate was nothing short of adorable. It was a fun time at the movies.

3. Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
About:
I wasn't a big fan of the original Puss in Boots film, and it's been more than a decade since we had a stand alone feature. This was much more engaging, funnier and more heart-warming than I expected. it was a late season animated gem.

2. D.C. League of Super-Pets
About:
I missed this one in theaters, but when I finally caught it I was sorry I didn't watch it sooner. Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart have great chemistry together and the film is a lot of fun.

1. Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio
About
: It's Pinocchio like you've never seen it before. Del Toro tells the story beautifully and in an extremely original way. This was the best animated film I saw this year and one of the best films I saw this year. It should be an Oscar front-runner in the category.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43