Films of the 1970s, No. 48

 


Throughout 2023 I'm looking at my favorite films from the decade of the 1970s. I'll be counting down from 50 to 1 throughout the year, posting a new installment each Friday. Agree? Disagree? Want to share a story? Post it in the comments below!

Remy Royce-Graff: You know, if it wasn't 7:30 in the morning I would have a drink.

Earthquake (1974)
Starring
: Charlton Heston, Ava Gardner, George Kennedy, and Lorne Greene
Director: Mark Robson
About: I can't lie, I'm a fan of disaster movies. If you followed my Top 50 countdown you know I love Twister. Well, I've also seen a number of disaster films from over the years. This one, released in 1974, was part of a string of high-profile disaster films from the decade. It boasts an All-Star cast and a script that was co-written by Mario Puzo, which was part of the reason I looked it up in the first place. I won't lie, there's some issues with the film. They also weren't that great at casting correct age ranges, since Gardner and Greene look more like brother and sister than father and daughter. But the general premise of the big one coming and wiping out Los Angeles was kind of fun. It takes a somewhat depressing turn for the main characters and the effects are certainly limited by it being the 1970s, but it's the kind of big scope disaster film I enjoy. This one has its moments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43