Films of the 1970s, No. 49

 


Throughout 2023 I'm looking at my favorite films from the decade of the 1970s. I'll be counting down from 50 to 1 throughout the year, posting a new installment each Friday. Agree? Disagree? Want to share a story? Post it in the comments below!

Max: I'm scared, Fif. You know why? It's that rat circus out there. I'm beginning to enjoy it.
Fifi: What is this, funny week?
Max: Look. Any longer out on that road and I'm one of them, you know? A terminal crazy... only I got a bronze badge to say I'm one of the good guys.

Mad Max (1979)
Starring
: Mel Gibson
Director: George Miller
About: This film kicked off a franchise that is continuing to go, with a new installment due out in 2024. But back in 1979, he was a young director establishing himself. Miller has had a long and varied career, including films like Babe: Pig in the City and Happy Feet, but it's the Mad Max universe that first established him. And all that kicked off with this film! It's also one of the early films for Gibson, who has gone on to become a big star. Here, he was a young performer that carries this action film. It's set in a dystopic future, though this first installment least captures that idea of all the films in this universe. This, in many ways, is more straightforward. It's about a man who is pushed to his breaking point and goes on a mission of revenge. By modern standards, the effects and action here isn't spectacular. But I was impressed by the driving sequences, especially our opening introduction to Max. This is another film I first discovered in college, which will probably be a theme of this countdown. I remember being impressed by some of the filmmaking. This isn't my favorite in the franchise, that's probably the more dystopic follow up Road Warrior, but it was unique and well made.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43