Films of the 1970s, No. 50

 


Throughout 2023 I'm looking at my favorite films from the decade of the 1970s. I'll be counting down from 50 to 1 throughout the year, posting a new installment each Friday. Agree? Disagree? Want to share a story? Post it in the comments below!

Sergeant Howie: I believe in the life eternal, as promised to us by our Lord, Jesus Christ.
Lord Summerisle: That is good. For believing what you do, we confer upon you a rare gift, these days - a martyr's death.

The Wicker Man (1973)
Starring
: Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee
Director: Robin Hardy
About: When it comes to horror films, I've always enjoyed something that feels different and grounded. I was in college when I first discovered The Wicker Man, which was re-made horribly in 2006 with Nicholas Cage in the lead role. In the original, Woodward stars as a British police officer and devout Christian. We're first introduced to buttoned up Sgt. Howie before he's dispatched to a small island to respond to the complaint of a missing child. On this island, run by Lord Summerisle (Lee), he finds a group of people that have set aside traditional religion for something different. There's free love, free thought and free expression, which rankles Sgt. Howie. He's also frustrated at his lack of answers. All the while he's being drawn in by the people of the island, but it isn't clear why until it's too late. I love Woodward and Lee in these roles, both play extreme types well. Their confrontation is both ideological and literal in the end. I also like the rich exploration of what it means to be a person of faith and the lengths a devout man will go to defend his beliefs. In the film, Sgt. Howie overcomes temptations, stands against what he finds repugnant and ultimately is chosen for a special ending because of his commitment to his belief. The twist at the end is haunting, especially the first time as you sink into the story. I remember Woodward, and his beautiful performance, especially in the closing moments. Since I first saw it, that ending has stuck with me, which is in part why it makes this list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43