NAFCA Winners Announced

 


I am proud to be part of the leadership group for the North American Film Critics Association. We handed out our first award slate last year and on Monday, January 9 we handed out awards for our second year. Below is the slate of winners from the year along with my thoughts about each category. If you want to see our live voting show, click here.

Best Picture – Tie
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio & The Fabelmans
About:
We were a split group. Pinocchio was the best of the animated films I saw in 2022. While some didn't care for The Fabelmans, I loved it, which is why it got my vote.

Best Animal Performance
Jenny the donkey, The Banshees of Inisherin
About
: Jenny the Donkey was an endearing part of the film. It's a great win.

Best Director
The Daniels, Everything Everywhere All at Once
About:
The Daniels created a film that was unlike anything I've ever seen visually. 

Best Actress
Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once
About:
Yeoh is a great actress whose work has gone under-the-radar for far too long.

Best Actor
Austin Butler, Elvis
About
: Overall, Elvis wasn't my favorite film, but Butler gives his all in the titular role.

Best Supporting Actress
Lashana Lynch, The Woman King
About
: I hope more people check out The Woman King, which was a fantastic blockbuster. Lynch shines in a powerful role.

Best Supporting Actor
Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once
About:
I loved Quan in this film and I was excited to see him get the win.

Best Blockbuster
Top Gun: Maverick
About
: This was a film that captured my attention and really hit the mark. It was THE Blockbuster of 2022.

Best Screenplay
Everything Everywhere All at Once
About
: An incredibly creative film and an amazingly creative story.

Best Comedy – Tie
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story & Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
About:
I loved Glass Onion, which just missed being in my Top 10 this year. I didn't love Weird, but I was blown away by the creativity and Daniel Radcliffe's performance.

Best Hidden Gem
Good Luck to You, Leo Grande
About:
In a year as rich as 2022, sometimes great films get lost in the shuffle. That's sadly true of this one but I'm glad we recognized it. It's some amazing work from Emma Thompson.

Best Streaming Movie
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
About:
I already mentioned my love for the film, I was glad it got the win.

Best Stunts
Jackass Forever
About
: I didn't love the film, but they are dedicated to creating some memorable stunt sequences.

Best Horror Film
Nope
About
: It was a rich year for high-concept horror films. Jordan Peele's latest film was one of the best.

Best Production Design
Babylon
About:
The production design in Babylon was great.

Best Costume Design
Elvis
About
: Again, I didn't love the film but you can't argue with some of its production design and costuming.

Best Sound
Top Gun: Maverick
About:
One of the best films of the year gets honored again.

Best Original Score
Justin Hurwitz, Babylon
About
: This was my favorite score of the year, I'm thrilled it won.

Best Editing
Everything Everywhere All at Once
About
: The production here was incredible.

Best Visual Effects
Avatar: The Way of Water
About:
This film was breathtaking to behold on the big screen.

Best Cinematography
Decision to Leave
About:
This film was beautifully shot.

Best Documentary Feature
Fire of Love
About:
A powerful story of a couple following their passion, one of my favorite documentaries of the year.

Best Animated Feature
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
About
: This was the best animated film I saw in 2022.

Best International Film
RRR
About
: An amazing three-hour epic with lavish effects, big musical numbers and a wonderful story. It's a movie you need to see.

Best Independent Film
Everything Everywhere All at Once
About:
No doubt, this was one of the best films of 2022.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43