Best Picture Nominees: All Quiet on the Western Front

 


The Academy Award nominations were announced on January 24. Between now and the awards, I'll be looking at all 10 Best Picture nominees, their nominations and their chances of winning awards.

All Quiet on the Western Front
Starring:
Felix Kammerer, Daniel Bruhl, and Albrecht Schuch
Director: Edward Berger
Total Nominations: 9
Nominated For: Best Picture, Best International Feature, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Original Score, Best Sound, Best Cinematography, Best Production Design, Best Visual Effects, and Best Hairstyle and Makeup
About: As I make my way through the Best Picture nominees, I come to a fascinating film that could be a big winner for Netflix. This is a German-language adaptation of the classic novel that was a previous Best Picture winner. It's fair to say we haven't seen an adaptation quite like this one. Berger does a nice job bringing it to life, having worked on the screenplay in addition to serving as director. However, aside from Picture and script, this film didn't land nominations in the marquee categories. That puts it at a disadvantage. But does that mean it will go without an award? I don't think so. It has a decent chance at Best Picture, but I don't suspect it wins. I think it's a near-lock for Best International Feature. Then it comes to a host of technical awards. It has a shot at screenplay and score, but I doubt it takes those. Sound, Production Design, Visual Effects and Hairstyle and Makeup are possibilities, too, but I think it ends up missing. I do think perhaps the best chance at an award outside International Feature is Cinematography. This is a beautifully shot film. In fact, the opening sequence was something that I loved most about the film and it's creative approach to the subject. The film in total didn't resonate with me as much as with others, likely owing to it being a tough story. But this is a solid production and one that shouldn't end the empty-handed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43