Best Picture Nominees: Avatar: The Way of Water

 


The Academy Award nominations were announced on January 24. Between now and the awards, I'll be looking at all 10 Best Picture nominees, their nominations and their chances of winning awards.

Avatar: The Way of Water
Starring:
Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Cliff Curtis, and Kate Winslet
Director: James Cameron
Total Nominations: 4
Nominated For: Best Picture, Best Visual Effects, Best Production Design, and Best Sound
About: As I continue my countdown of Best Picture nominees, we come to the group that finished inside my personal Top 20. I was as surprised as anyone that Avatar: The Way of Water made the list for me. I wasn't a big fan of the original and I didn't see a reason why we needed a sequel. That was how I went into this film. When I came out, I was a fan. Cameron builds the world and the characters, giving them time to breathe. This doesn't invite comparisons to other films but stands on its own as a brilliant and beautiful technical achievement. I didn't love every aspect of the story but I was moved and I was enraptured for more than three hours. When it comes to the Academy Awards, I don't see this winning Best Picture. In fact, I think it's quite likely it could end up with now awards at all. But, if it does win something, I think Visual Effects is the best shot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43