Best Picture Nominees: The Banshees of Inisherin

 


The Academy Award nominations were announced on January 24. Between now and the awards, I'll be looking at all 10 Best Picture nominees, their nominations and their chances of winning awards.

The Banshees of Inisherin
Starring:
Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Barry Keoghan, and Kerry Condon
Director: Martin McDonagh
Total Nominations: 9
Nominated For: Best Picture, Best Actor (Farrell), Best Supporting Actor (Gleeson), Best Supporting Actor (Keoghan), Best Supporting Actress (Condon), Best Director (McDonagh), Best Original Screenplay, Best Original Score, and Best Editing
About: Yesterday I looked at a film that had a wealth of technical nominations but wasn't a player in the bigger profile categories. Today, I'm looking at a film that's the opposite. Banshees earned four acting nominations, including two in the Supporting Actor category, and nods for directing and screenplay. It has only a couple technical awards in score and editing, and I don't see it as a front-runner in either category. I do think it wins some awards, though. This film is about McDonagh, who crafted the original story and served as director. I think he wins an award, likely for screenplay here. I also think that this film is a player in the acting categories. While Gleeson and Keoghan might split the vote, I like Farrell as having the best shot. It won't be easy, and Austin Butler certainly provides plenty of competition, as does Brendan Fraser. But Farrell delivered the best performance in the category and is a performer who's piled up quite the resume of late. I think he finally gets recognized here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43