Best Picture Nominees: Top Gun: Maverick


 

The Academy Award nominations were announced on January 24. Between now and the awards, I'll be looking at all 10 Best Picture nominees, their nominations and their chances of winning awards.

Top Gun: Maverick
Starring:
Tom Cruise, Jennifer Connelly, Miles Teller, and Val Kilmer
Director: Joseph Kosinski
Total Nominations: 6
Nominated For: Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay (Ehren Kruger, Eric Warren Singer, Christopher McQuarrie, Peter Craig, Justin Marks), Best Sound, Best Visual Effects, Best Editing and Best Original Song
About: I remember when I first saw Top Gun. It was in the early 1990s and I was taken with the jets and the trappings of a film that was so quintessentially 1980s. I never thought it was a film that needed a sequel. And yet, more than 30 years later, that's what we got. This sequel seemed to be delayed indefinitely as the world grappled with COVID, so it was fair to wonder what kind of film we'd get. What we got was something incredible. It was the rare sequel that surpassed the original in every way. As we continue this look at Best Picture nominees, we find those in my Top 10. Maverick was THE film of the summer of 2022, a blockbuster that delivered at the highest levels. Will it win Best Picture? I don't think so, but it could. I think the best shot here comes in a technical award, wither Sound or Visual Effects being the most likely. I also think it's a strong contender in the Original Song category with Lady Gaga's "Hold My Hand" being a great anthem from the film. I suspect at the end of the day, this film gets at least one award.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43