Favorite Superhero Films, No. 46


 Throughout 2023 I'll be sharing my favorite Superhero Films each Saturday, counting down from 50 to 1. Check back each week throughout the year for the next installment. Agree? Disagree? What to share a favorite? Post it in the comments.

Tony Stark: [Tony is wounded, Steve and Bucky are leaving] That shield doesn't belong to you. You don't deserve it! My father made that shield!

Captain America: Civil War (2016)
Starring
: Robert Downey, Jr., Chris Evans, Don Cheadle, Tom Holland, Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany, Anthony Mackie, Scarlett Johansson, Chadwick Boseman, Paul Rudd, Jeremy Renner, and Sebastian Stan
Director: Joe and Anthony Russo
About: This might as well be the third Avengers film, it's all about the Avengers and features nearly the entire ensemble. It's also one of the hardest films for me to rate because of the conflict I feel about it. I was thrilled when it was announced and deeply moved by the trailer. And for the first two thirds, I felt like this was potentially the best MCU Film. I mean you get the introduction for Black Panther AND Spider-Man. But, man is that third act is a big turnoff for me. This film is about conflict between our heroes. It wants you to believe Captain America is the hero. He isn't. It wants you to believe Iron Man is the villain. He isn't. And more than that, it wants you to accept that this all out war ends with a few people beaten up and angry, but a letter makes it all OK. It doesn't work. Someone needed to die. I think Captain America needed to die and I will never move off that belief. I've watched it a few times. I still appreciate plenty about it, but that last act burns me. It's a film that elicits a strong emotional reaction, and I've come up on my score over the years to the point it makes this list but I feel like it's a missed opportunity.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43