Oscar Races: Best Animated Feature and Screenplays

 


We're racing toward the 95th Academy Awards. As we do, I'm looking at the key races. Today, I'm looking at the competition for Best Animated Feature and both Screenplay battles.

Best Animated Feature:

  • Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio
  • Marcel the Shell With Shoes On
  • Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
  • The Sea Beast
  • Turning Red
About: This is an interesting race with a diverse set of nominees. I saw all five of these films and three of them were among my favorites in the genre. The clear leader here, to me, feels like Pinocchio. It's a fantastic achievement from Del Toro and I think it's the film that takes the win in this race.

Best Original Screenplay:
  • Everything Everywhere All At Once
  • The Fabelmans
  • The Banshees of Inisherin
  • Triangle of Sadness
  • Tar
About: Another loaded and fascinating category, with all five of these films being nominated for Best Picture, among other categories. There are some fantastic and creative scripts here, too. With this category, it might come down to whether one film is dominating the night or there is a desire to spread the love around. That's where it comes down to the Daniels for Everything Everywhere All At Once, which I think might dominate the evening, and Tar, which had a fantastic script from Todd Field. I'm leaning Tar at the moment because the dialogue was incredible but I could see it going either way.

Best Adapted Screenplay:
  • All Quiet on the Western Front
  • Glass Onion
  • Living
  • Top Gun: Maverick
  • Women Talking
About: This is a fascinating category for me too. This one features just three films in the Best Picture race. It also feels quite wide open. I loved what Rian Johnson did with Glass Onion, and I would love to see that film win, but it feels like a long-shot. All Quiet could sneak in here, but I'm going with Women Talking. Sarah Polley did a masterful job with the film and I think it should be recognized in this category.

The 95th Academy Awards take place Sunday, March 12

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43