2023 Broncos' Season, First Roster Prediction

 


Over the last few weeks I've been looking at the Broncos' roster now that the draft and the bulk of free agency has passed. Today, as we head toward the month of July, I'm going to give my first shot at projecting the 53-man roster. This will evolve as we go through the summer.

QBs (2):
* Russell Wilson
* Jarrett Stidham

About: The NFL changed the rules to allow for a third QB without it costing a roster spot on game day. I think the Broncos will keep a third, but on the Practice Squad. The team will need spots, so I think we get two on the main roster.

RBs (4):
* Javonte Williams
* Samaje Perine
* Tony Jones, Jr.
* Michael Burton

About: Williams and Perine are locks, and I think the Broncos will keep Burton, the team's fullback. The Broncos will need another back on the roster. For now, I'm going with Jones.

WRs (7):
* Courtland Sutton
* Tim Patrick
* Jerry Jeudy
* Marvin Mims, Jr.
* Marquez Callaway
* Kendall Hinton
* K.J. Hamler

About: The Broncos could be pressed, forcing them to keep fewer players. For now, I'm going with seven and that keeps Hamler on the roster. But I think he's firmly on the bubble.

TEs (4):
* Greg Dulcich
* Adam Trautman
* Albert Okwuegbunam
* Chris Manhertz

About: I think Dulcich and Manhertz are locks. Dulcich is the best receiver and Manhertz is a good blocker. The question becomes whether the Broncos can afford to keep four. I'm projecting four at this point, keeping both Trautman and Albert O. If it's only three, I think Trautman might get the edge.

Offensive Line (8):
* Garrett Bolles
* Mike McGlinchey
* Ben Powers
* Quinn Meinerz
* Lloyd Cushenberry
* Kyle Fuller
* Cam Fleming
* Quinn Bailey

About: Could the Broncos keep more? Sure. They will also likely keep a few on the Practice Squad. For now, I'm going with Cushenberry and Fuller at center, but we could see Cushenberry on the bubble. The rest of the starters and Fleming feel like solid locks. I picked Bailey as my last swing player.

Defensive Line (6):
* Zach Allen
* D.J. Jones
* Eyioma Uwazurike
* Jonathan Harris
* Mike Purcell
* Matt Henningsen

About: It seems logical the Broncos will keep six. The first four or five are easy, but there's opportunity for someone to earn a spot. For now, I'm going with Henningsen.

Linebackers (8):
* Nik Bonitto
* Randy Gregory
* Baron Browning
* Frank Clark
* Jonathan Cooper
* Alex Singleton
* Josey Jewell
* Drew Sanders

About: The Broncos could keep more players here, too. But for now I'm going with eight. I think we get five on the Outside, with Browning then transitioning to PUP. That means we'll see someone else brought in here, but that will likely be after the first roster is announced. That could make it interesting with inside linebackers if there's an injury.

Defensive Backs (11):
* Patrick Surtain II
* K'Waun Williams
* Tremon Smith
* Damarri Mathis
* Riley Moss
* Essang Bassey
* Justin Simmons
* Kareem Jackson
* Caden Sterns
* P.J. Locke
* Delarrin Turner-Yell

About: The Broncos have a lot of talent in the secondary. They could easily keep just nine or 10. For now, I'm projecting more players at this position. The Broncos have great depth at corner, and keeping six players allows them to have some veterans, including a returner in Smith, and some youth in Mathis and Moss that can be developed. At safety, the Broncos have a firm Top 3 but also plenty of other options. For now, I'm keeping Locke and Turner-Yell.

Special Teams (3):
* Elliot Fry
* Riley Dixon
* Mitchell Fraboni

About: While the loss of Brandon McManus looms large, this area seems fairly straightforward with two kickers and a long snapper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43