Ted Lasso, a reflection

 


"If the Internet has taught us anything, it's that sometimes it's easier to speak our minds anonymously."

Ted Lasso, the series as we've known it, ended on May 31. The final episode, "So Long, Farewell," saw Ted head back to Kansas. He's learned to love himself. He's learned to be at peace with himself. And we see him coach soccer with his son, having made peace with his ex-wife and found some happiness. It's the end of the story the creators wanted to tell. It's the end of the story of Ted Lasso.

Will it be the end of our time with all these characters and the world of Richmond. But, for now, I'm treating it as the Series Finale. That means taking some time to consider its place.

The first hurdle is the final season. How a series ends impacts its lasting legacy. Through six seasons, I thought Game of Thrones was tracking to be my favorite series of all time. The penultimate season was uneven and the finale season was, at times, unsatisfying. I still love Game of Thrones, but it didn't end up as high on my list as it might have with a stronger final act. So, what does that mean for Ted Lasso?

I chose that quote above, from the show, because of the backlash to this final season. Many didn't like it. I felt differently. The season wasn't what we'd seen in previous seasons, but that was OK. This felt like more of a rich, cathartic journey. That included the finale, which felt like a perfect way to wrap up this story.

For my favorite series of All Time, it's been a mixture of beautiful and engaging stories and the strength of how its told throughout its run. For me shows like The Wire, The West Wing, Big Bang Theory and Bosch all earned their space because of that storytelling over the long haul. But what Ted Lasso reminds me of is my favorite show of all time.

The Leftovers only ran three seasons. The first season, I was compelled but not in love. But the third season, each week left me a puddle. In fact, until Ted Lasso's third season, I don't think I've ever had another show where I cried at some point in each episode. The Leftovers was a beautiful, rich and emotional journey. Though it's a completely different story, Ted Lasso offered viewers the same.

It's only been a week, and it takes time to build a legacy. But I know I'll miss this series and I know I'll long remember the series. To me, it will always be one of my favorites of all time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43