Favorite Superhero Movies, No. 23

 


Throughout 2023 I'll be sharing my favorite Superhero Films each Saturday, counting down from 50 to 1. Check back each week throughout the year for the next installment. Agree? Disagree? What to share a favorite? Post it in the comments.

Superman: Listen; what do you hear?
Lois Lane: Nothing.
Superman: I hear everything. You wrote that the world doesn't need a savior, but every day I hear people crying for one.

Superman Returns (2006)
Starring
: Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth, Kevin Spacey, James Marsden, and Frank Langella
Director: Bryan Singer
About: I have probably had some entries on this list that didn't resonate with everyone, but doubtless this is one that will be the most polarizing. I gather that many didn't care for this sequel/re-boot. And now, nearly 20 years later, it's more problematic due to the involvement of Singer and Spacey. However, I loved the film when it was released and I've continued to enjoy it. In fact, it's my favorite stand-alone Superman film. It's meant to be a direct sequel to the Richard Donner version of Superman II. It picks up five years later, with Superman returning from a long absence. I love Routh in the role and I liked Bosworth as Lois Lane. Their storyline works for me. There's a great burst of nostalgia and some fun set pieces. But for me, what I've long enjoyed with Superman stories is the Christology in the character. This film touches on that the most of any of the stand-alone films. It's always been moving and engaging to me. For all those reasons, I've long been drawn to this version of Superman, making it an easy choice to place it on this list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43