Films of the 1970s, No. 22

 


Throughout 2023 I'm looking at my favorite films from the decade of the 1970s. I'll be counting down from 50 to 1 throughout the year, posting a new installment each Friday. Agree? Disagree? Want to share a story? Post it in the comments below!

King Arthur: I am your king.
Woman: Well, I didn't vote for you.
King Arthur: You don't vote for kings.
Woman: Well how'd you become king then?
[Angelic music plays...]

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king.
Dennis: [interrupting] Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
Starring:
John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Terry Jones, and Terry Gilliam
Director: Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones
About: The 1970s brought us a lot of serious, somber and difficult films to watch. But it also had some remarkable absurdist comedies. That's the case with this film, a classic from the British comedy troupe Monty Python. They made a few movies, but I'd say this is the most iconic and is my favorite. We find King Arthur on a quest for the Holy Grail, but that's just the set up that sets the stage for a lot of wild and iconic sequences. There is wit, irreverent humor and plenty of observations about the world. I enjoy the scope and spectacle of the film, as Monty Python added a lot of the cinematic scene of the 1970s and beyond.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43