Films of the 1970s, No. 24

 


Throughout 2023 I'm looking at my favorite films from the decade of the 1970s. I'll be counting down from 50 to 1 throughout the year, posting a new installment each Friday. Agree? Disagree? Want to share a story? Post it in the comments below!

Ted Kramer: Hi, what's up? Tell me. What? What's the matter?
Joanna Kramer: I woke up this morning, kept thinking about Billy and I was thinking about him waking up in his room with his little clouds all around that I painted and I thought I should have painted clouds downtown because then he would think that he was waking up at home. I came here to take my son home. And I realized he already is home.

Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)
Starring
: Meryl Streep, Dustin Hoffman, Jane Alexander, and Justin Henry
Director: Robert Benton
About: There were some masterful, timely and topical films released in the 1970s. This film, which won three Academy Awards, is one of them. It's about a couple that splits and goes through a painful divorce. The twist here is the father, Ted (Hoffman), is left to raise the couple's son. He has to navigate the new normal while trying to hold down a job and pick up additional duties. Then, when his ex-wife (Streep) returns, he is faced with losing custody because he's a man. It's a fascinating look at parenting, relationships and gender roles. But it's also a moving tale of a man who works hard to put his son first. Streep and Hoffman both won Academy Awards, and their performances are brilliant. This is an emotional and engaging film, one worth seeking out if you haven't seen it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43