Mid-Year Top TV

 


We’re more than half-way through 2023, I know it’s hard to believe. Today I’m looking at my Top 10 TV Shows of the year so far, plus 10 more I enjoyed. The list includes only series for which I have seen every episode of the season referenced.

1. Ted Lasso, Season 3 (Apple TV+)
About:
If you followed my recaps, you know I loved this season. Ted Lasso has been my favorite series the past few years and it goes out on a high note. The penultimate episode was one of the most beautiful of the series.

2. Shrinking, Season 1 (Apple TV+)
About:
Much of the creative team behind Ted Lasso worked to bring this series, starring Jason Segel, Harrison Ford and Jessica Williams to life. It’s got the same sense of beauty, humor and pathos. It’s a beautiful journey.

3. Drops of God (Apple TV+)
About:
I don’t know much about Manga or wine, so I shouldn’t be the target audience for this series, based on a Manga of the same name about a Japanese Man and a French Woman competing to win the inheritance of the world’s greatest wine critic. And yet, it was a fascinating, captivating and emotional journey. It was simply incredible. Apple, as you can tell, continue to knock it out of the park with original programming.

4. The Bear, Season 2 (FX)
About:
The first season of The Bear was the best thing I saw in 2022. This second season is wonderful with some great episodes. It’s a must-watch.

5. Mrs. Davis (Peacock)
About:
I love Damon Lindelof as a content creator. He doesn’t disappoint with this effort—co-created with Tara Hernandez. Betty Gilpin sizzles in the lead role. This series is strange and engaging, ultimately delivering a beautifully emotional finale.

6. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Season 5 (Prime Video)
About:
I’ve been a fan since Mrs. Maisel debuted. The final season featured some time jumps and some flashbacks but ultimately delivered what we wanted to see from the series. Rachel Brosnahan is incredible in this role. I hope she gets Emmy consideration.

7. The Diplomat, Season 1 (Netflix)
About:
Television is better with Keri Russell in it. She takes the lead here as a career diplomat thrust into the role of Ambassador to the United Kingdom, and possibly headed for more. The cat-and-mouse, pacing and dialogue is excellent here. This is a home run for Netflix.

8. The Last Thing He Told Me (Apple TV+)
About:
Another series from Apple, this one a mystery fronted by Jennifer Garner. It started a bit slow, but it hooked me and wouldn’t let go. Garner is terrific.

9. Schmigadoon!, Season 2 (Apple TV+)
About:
What can I say, I’m a sucker for musicals and comedy. This has both in spades. It’s wildly different from season one, but equally as engaging.

10. The Mandalorian, Season 3 (Disney+)
About:
We got something of a Season 3 during The Book of Boba Fett, but this is the full on third season. It doesn’t disappoint as the world expands and we see Grogu and Din Djarin continue their adventures with a wide cast of supporting characters. I love the western feel and the way this series is laid out.

And now, 10 other seasons I’ve enjoyed!

11. Abbott Elementary, Season 2 (ABC)
12. Picard, Season 3 (Paramount+)
13. Platonic (Apple TV+)
14. The Big Door Prize (Apple TV+)
15. Poker Face, Season 1 (Peacock)
16. 9-1-1, Season 7 (FOX)
17. Barry, Season 4 (HBO)
18. Silo (Apple TV+)
19. American Born Chinese (Disney+)
20. Class of ’09 (FX)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43