2023 Broncos' Season, Roster Projections

 


One week of pre-season is in the books, it's time to see where the roster projections sit. Fair warning, I changed some things up again.

QB 2:
* Russell Wilson
* Jarrett Stidham

About: I have no doubt the Broncos will keep Ben DiNucci or someone on the Practice Squad. And they will use the new rule to have three QBs on game days. But I think two stay on the active roster when we go to 53. Stidham wasn't great in Week 1, but I'm still giving him the edge.

Running Backs 4:
* Javonte Williams
* Samaje Perine
* Tyler Badie
* Michael Burton

About: I think Williams, Perine and Burton, a fullback, are locks. The question is the team's RB3. Badie is the leader in the clubhouse, and he did nothing to change that in Week 1. Jaleel McLaughlin is the one to watch.

Wide Receivers 7:
* Jerry Jeudy
* Courtland Sutton
* Marvin Mims
* Marquez Callaway
* Kendall Hinton
* Brandon Johnson
* Montrell Washington

About: Based on Week 1, you might have questions. But no one really made a strong case, save for Washington, who I think is back in based on his Special Teams work. Johnson is ailing, but I still like him long-term. Hinton is a versatile player, and I think he makes it. And Callaway is an experienced veteran, so I'm picking him. Jeudy, Sutton and Mims are locks. We'll see if the next two weeks alter my thinking.

Tight End 3:
* Adam Trautman
* Greg Dulcich
* Chris Manhertz

About: Trautman is the TE1 right now, but I think Dulcich is in the mix. For the third guy, I went with the blocker in Manhertz. I think this leaves Albert Okwuegbunam as a roster cut.

Offensive Line 9:
* Garrett Bolles
* Mike McGlinchey
* Ben Powers
* Quinn Meinerz
* Lloyd Cushenberry III
* Kyle Fuller
* Alex Forsyth
* Cam Fleming
* Isaiah Prince

About: Teams sometimes keep eight, but offensive lineman are at a premium. With some injuries already and some questions, I'm still projecting nine. Forsyth is the promising rookie, while Fuller is an interior lineman vet. Fleming is the swing tackle, while Prince got the start in Week 1, so I'm giving him the edge.

Defensive Line 6:
* Zach Allen
* D.J. Jones
* Jonathan Harris
* Elijah Garcia
* Matt Henningsen
* P.J. Mustipher

About: Six seems like the right number. Allen, Jones and Harris are the listed starters. Beyond that, it's a guessing game. I went with Garcia, Mustipher and Henningsen, who seemed to impress the most.

Linebackers 9:
* Frank Clark
* Randy Gregory
* Baron Browning
* Jonathan Cooper
* Nik Bonitto
* Alex Singleton
* Josey Jewell
* Drew Sanders
* Aaron Patrick

About: There feels like only a few bubble spots here. Clark, Gregory, Browning, Cooper, Singleton, Jewell and Sanders feel locked in. I think the Broncos keep one more inside and one more outside. Bonitto should be a lock but he's struggled. Still, I think he gets the call. The final spot is the one I'm most up in the air about. For now, I'm leaning Patrick.

Defensive Backs 10:
* Patrick Surtain II
* Damarri Mathis
* K'Waun Williams
* Riley Moss
* Essang Bassey
* Justin Simmons
* Kareem Jackson
* Caden Sterns
* P.J. Locke
* Delarrin Turner-Yell

About: This is the toughest unit because there will be some unfortunate cuts. Mathis seems locked in as a starter, while Bassey continues to impress. I know they want to keep Moss, too, so that likely leaves veteran Tremon Smith on the bubble, and I have him out. They could keep six corners, but I don't know. Turner-Yell is also on the bubble, but he impressed, so I have him in now.

Special Teams 3:
* Brett Maher
* Riley Dixon
* Mitchell Fraboni

About: The kicker battle was bad in Week 1. Fry was better, but he was cut. So, maybe I don't understand what the Broncos are looking for from a kicker.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43