Best of Summer 2023

 


We're almost through August, which means that the summer blockbuster season is quickly drawing to a close. But what a summer it was! Below is my pick for my six favorite films of summer. Agree? Disagree? Have other picks? Please leave them in the comments.

1. Barbie, July 21
About:
Barbie isn't just my pick for the best of summer, currently it's sitting as my favorite film of the year. How do you make a movie about a toy? That was the question heading into the film. What we got was a wonderful answer in Greta Gerwig's delightful film. Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling are great. It's hilarious, beautifully crafted and makes you think.

2. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3, May 7
About:
The first big blockbuster of summer did not disappoint. This was likely the last film with the Guardians as we've known them. They've long been my favorites in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and this film was a big, bold celebration. The humor and drama blended beautifully with action. This is my No. 2 film of the summer and of the year so far.

3. Oppenheimer, July 21
About:
The other half of the biggest weekend of the summer was this three-hour, star-studded biopic from Christopher Nolan. Cillian Murphy is incredible but there are many great performances, including from Robert Downey, Jr. This was a massive film in scope and it works well. It's currently sitting as my No. 3 film of the year.

4. Gran Turismo, August 25
About:
When a racing movie is done well, it really hits. This film, based on a true story, really hit for me. I loved the racing action and the performances. David Harbour is great here. This was a blast and one of my favorite films of the year so far.

5. Past Lives, June 30
About:
This is a smaller film that appeared at the Sundance Film Festival and opened in theaters this summer. I caught it when it opened, and I'm thrilled I did. It's a beautifully crafted tale from writer/director Celine Song that features a beautiful lead performance from Greta Lee. This is an emotional film that's worth seeing.

6. Joy Ride, July 7
About:
Summer is about big blockbusters but also about a good over-the-top comedy. Joy Ride is that comedy for the summer of 2023. It's a delightful romp that features a fun story, some incredible scenes and a lot of fun. Plus, Sherry Cola is the MVP of summer. I hope she ends up in the Supporting Actress discussion.

Those are my six, what is yours?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43