Favorite Superhero Movies, No. 20

 


Throughout 2023 I'll be sharing my favorite Superhero Films each Saturday, counting down from 50 to 1. Check back each week throughout the year for the next installment. Agree? Disagree? What to share a favorite? Post it in the comments.

Diana Prince: I will fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.

Wonder Woman (2017)
Starring:
Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Robin Wright, Connie Nielsen, Danny Huston, and David Thewlis
Director: Patty Jenkins
About: It's fair to say the DCEU is uneven. However, there were some diamonds in the lot. One of those is the first Wonder Woman film, directed by Jenkins. It takes the action back to World War I, creating something of an origin story. Wright and Nielsen are solid as Diana's family, but it's her back-and-forth with Pine that really helps the film hum. The final battle sequence is OK but the memorable sacrifice really caps off the film. I was taken with the cinematic style and the story when I first saw it and it remains one of the stronger modern superhero films. The sequel didn't live up to the high bar, but for me that doesn't detract from all the things I enjoyed about the original film. That's why it has landed here in the Top 20.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43