Favorite Superhero Movies, No. 17

 


Throughout 2023 I'll be sharing my favorite Superhero Films each Saturday, counting down from 50 to 1. Check back each week throughout the year for the next installment. Agree? Disagree? What to share a favorite? Post it in the comments.

Batman: Our scars can destroy us, even after the physical wounds have healed. But if we survive them, they can transform us. They can give us the power to endure, and the strength to fight.

The Batman (2022)
Starring:
Robert Pattinson, Colin Farrell, Paul Dano, John Turturro, Zoe Kravitz, and Jeffrey Wright
Director: Matt Reeves
About: I've mentioned before on this countdown that Batman has always been my favorite superhero. This is the first of five films remaining on this list that feature Batman, but this might be the most surprising. When it was first announced, it's fair to say I had my doubts. I had doubts about the description and also doubts about Pattinson in the lead role. But when I saw the film, those doubts faded. There is a gritty style here, which was the butt of some jokes, but works well to serve the narrative. Pattinson is strong in the lead role, but the supporting cast is also strong. Dano was somewhat haunting as The Riddler. Is this my favorite portrayal of Batman? No. But this film is solid and much different and more engaging than I expected. That's why it worked itself among my favorite films of last year and into my favorite superhero films.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43