Films of the 1970s, No. 9

 


Throughout 2023 I'm looking at my favorite films from the decade of the 1970s. I'll be counting down from 50 to 1 throughout the year, posting a new installment each Friday. Agree? Disagree? Want to share a story? Post it in the comments below!

Loomis: I met him, 15 years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding in even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this... six-year-old child with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and... the blackest eyes - the Devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up, because I realized that what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply... evil.

Halloween (1978)
Starring:
Jamie Lee Curtis and Donald Pleasance
Director: John Carpenter
About: It's fitting that it's Halloween weekend and we come to this film in my countdown. I know horror films aren't for everyone, especially when it comes to slasher films. But it's impossible to deny the impact this film has had. We've seen more than a dozen sequels and plenty of similar franchises. In a way, this film sets the standard and template for slasher films. Curtis is great as Laurie Strode, a character she's played for years. But it's the idea of Michael Myers that really stands out here. He's pure evil, as Dr. Loomis notes, the supernatural boogeyman that preys on the vulnerable. There's a reason this stands out as a classic. As I get older, I'm not as tolerant of horror films as I once was. But the ones that do it well still work. This one still works. Happy Halloween!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43