Favorite Superhero Movies, No. 1

 


Throughout 2023 I'll be sharing my favorite Superhero Films each Saturday, counting down from 50 to 1. Check back each week throughout the year for the next installment. Agree? Disagree? What to share a favorite? Post it in the comments.

James Gordon Jr.: Why's he running, Dad?
Lt. James Gordon: Because we have to chase him.
James Gordon Jr.: He didn't do anything wrong.
Lt. James Gordon: Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

The Dark Knight (2008)
Starring
: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, and Aaron Eckhart
Director: Christopher Nolan
About: If you've followed me all these many weeks, you know that Batman is my favorite superhero. So, naturally, a Batman film tops my list of favorite superhero films. This is not only my favorite superhero film, it's one of my favorite films of all time, making it an easy choice to top this list. I love Nolan as a filmmaker, and here he does some of his best work. The influences here from other films, like Heat, are palpable. It's a great performance from Ledger as The Joker, as well. But it's the ideas here. Light and dark, and Batman facing his polar opposite. I'm continuously moved by the way this film looks at human nature and the story it sets out. It's incredibly powerful for me though I've seen it nearly 100 times. To me, this is the pinnacle of superhero films.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43