Best Picture Nominees: Poor Things

 


On January 23, the Academy Award Nominations were announced. A total of ten films will be competing for Best Picture at the Academy Awards, which take place on Sunday, March 10. From now until then, I will be looking at each of the Best Picture Nominees.

Poor Things
Starring
: Emma Stone, Willem Dafoe, Mark Ruffalo, and Ramy Youssef
Director: Yorgos Lanthimos
Total Nominations: 11
Nominated For: Best Picture, Best Actress (Stone), Best Supporting Actor (Ruffalo), Best Director (Lanthimos), Best Adapted Screenplay (Tony McNamara), Best Editing, Best Cinematography, Best Production Design, Best Costume Design, Best Makeup and Hairstyling, Best Original Score
About: This was one of the most unique films of the year. Given its style and story, it makes sense that you either loved it or didn't care for it. I was taken with the production and the way this film comes together. So, too, was the Academy. Its 11 nominations makes it one of the most honored films, and I'd be shocked if it didn't win something. I think it's got a very good shot in the production awards owing to the look and style of the film. Production Design, Costume, Score or Cinematography are all in play. So, too, is McNamara's script. While I don't think he's the favorite, it's a sharply written film. This one has a shot at Best Picture, too, though I don't think it ultimately gets the win. I think Lanthimos has a shot at director, too, though it feels like Christopher Nolan is the favorite. The award I feel best about is Best Actress. Stone is simply incredible. I think she's a front-runner, and she should be. She gave an incredible performance. As noted, I think the film will get at least one Oscar, and it could well be a big one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43