Favorite Westerns, No. 46

 


Do you like a good Western? It's a classic genre in film and this year I've decided to look at some of my favorite Westerns. So, join me each Friday as I count down my favorite Westerns from No. 50 to No. 1.

Buster Scruggs: There's just gotta be a place up ahead where men ain't low-down and poker's played fair. If there weren't, what are all the songs about? I'll see y'all there. And we can sing together and shake our heads over all the meanness in the used-to-be.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)
Starring
: Tim Blake Nelson, James Franco, Liam Neeson, Harry Melling, Tom Waits, Brendon Gleeson, and Zoe Kazan
Director: Joel and Ethan Coen
About: Here we have a Western written and directed by the Coen Brothers. This isn't the only film on this list, merely the first. This one is a collection of short stories put together as a feature for Netflix. Each of the stories has its own cast and its own flair, but the whole thing feels uniquely Coen Brothers. The writing is crisp and the stories have the right kind of odd touches. It captures the beauty, violence, and hardness of the world of westerns. I like some segments better than others. One of my favorites is the first, featuring Blake Nelson, who is a lot of fun in the role. This is a quirky and engaging western that I quite enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43