My Spirit Ballot

 


The Independent Spirit Awards take place on Sunday, February 25. As a voter for Film Independent, I had the honor of casting a ballot this year. Below are my picks in the key categories. We'll see how it all shakes out on Sunday.

Best Feature: Past Lives
About:
I loved Past Lives, which was a a gripping and emotionally engaging film. There were a few in the category I liked, but I voted Past Lives.

Best First Feature: Upon Entry
About
: This was a film I encountered on my screener. I didn't know much about it, but I was really taken with the story and execution. It ended up being my pick.

Best Director: Celine Song, Past Lives
About
: I mentioned my love for Past Lives, so naturally I went with Song here.

Best Screenplay: Cord Jefferson, American Fiction
About
: American Fiction was a close second for me as Best Feature, so I went with Jefferson's script here.

Best Lead Performance: Greta Lee, Past Lives
About
: There were so many rich performances. I was tempted by Jeffrey Wright, but I ended up going with Lee. She was brilliant in Past Lives.

Best Supporting Performance: Sterling K. Brown, American Fiction
About
: Another loaded category, I went with Brown because I loved his performance in the film.

Best Breakthrough Performance: Marshawn Lynch, Bottoms
About
: Lynch was hilarious in this role, so I went with him.

Best Documentary: Four Daughters
About:
There were so many good films in the category, but the creativity and power of narrative led me to lean toward Four Daughters.

Best International Film: The Zone of Interest
About:
This is a powerful film that's my pick at the Academy Awards too.

Best Editing: Daniel Garber, How to Blow Up A Pipeline
About
: I liked this movie, which was somewhat under-rated. I ended up giving it the nod for editing because of the tension created.

Best Cinematography: Jomo Fray, All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt
About
: The visuals in this film were stunning, so it was an easy pick as Best Cinematography

Best New Non-Scripted or Documentary Series: Murder in Big Horn
About
: Some worthy candidates here, but I was engaged by this limited documentary series.

Best New Script Series: Jury Duty
About:
Another show with a fantastic concept and execution, so it got my vote.

Best Lead Performance in a New Scripted Series: Betty Gilpin, Mrs. Davis
About:
Loved Mrs. Davis. It was one of my favorite series of the year, so I went with Gilpin.

Best Supporting Performance in a New Scripted Series: Nick Offerman, The Last of Us
About
: Offerman was great in a limited role. He was very memorable in his work, so I gave him the nod.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43