Super Bowl Prediction

 


It all comes down to this. We’ve seen a lot during this season of NFL football, including three action-packed playoff weekends. And now, the season comes down to one final game. We have the Chiefs and the 49ers set to battle Sunday in Las Vegas. It hasn’t been a great playoffs for me when it comes to picking winners. I went 0-2 during the Conference Championship Weekend, dropping to 4-8 for the playoffs. Let’s see if I do better with the final game!

San Francisco 49ers (12-5) at Kansas City Chiefs (11-6)

Super Bowl 58 features two good teams with two good coaches, two solid offenses and two strong defenses. We’ve seen these teams matched before, a few years ago when the Chiefs got past the 49ers for their first Super Bowl win with Patrick Mahomes and Head Coach Andy Reid. Of course, the 49ers are a slightly different team. This time it’s Brock Purdy leading the 49ers along with Christian McCaffrey. So, let’s break down the metric of the game on the basis of a few different categories before I make my final pick.

Quarterbacks: It’s Mahomes, possibly the best in the game, against Purdy. I don’t doubt Purdy as some do, but it would be impossible to say he’s better than Mahomes. So, we have to give the edge here to the Chiefs.

Running Backs: If Mahomes is the best quarterback in the game, McCaffrey is the best running back. In addition to McCaffrey, the 49ers have Elijah Mitchell and James Mason. That’s a solid roster in the backfield. I like Isiah Pacheco, who has been solid, but he’s not McCaffrey. With Jerrick McKinnon likely out, it’s just Pacheco and Clyde Edwards-Helaire. That’s not a bad group, but I give the edge to the 49ers.

Pass Catchers: The Chiefs have a rejuvenated Travis Kelce and a budding star in rookie Rashee Rice. I like that duo. The 49ers, however, have Brandon Aiyuk, George Kittle and Deebo Samuel. That’s an incredible trio. Add to that a fun third receiver like Jauan Jennings, and it’s easy to give the edge to the 49ers here.

Defense: This is tough. The 49ers have the bigger name talent for sure. They’ve also been a strong and at times dominant group. But that’s true of the Chiefs’ defense, too. The Chiefs’ defense slowed down Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson in order to make the Super Bowl. You can’t overlook that. Call it a cop out, but I’m declaring this something of a push.

Head Coach: I love Kyle Shanahan and what he’s done. He’s consistently delivered great offenses and has made the 49ers a force in the NFC. But Reid has been to the Super Bowl five times. He’s been dominant with two different teams and he’s one of the greatest coaches of all time. I’m giving the edge to the Chiefs.

The Pick: As you can see, these two teams are relatively even. I think this could be a good game. Last time the Chiefs got the better of Shanahan and the 49ers. This time, I think the 49ers get it done. I haven’t picked the Chiefs all post-season, so I won’t start now. I’m going with San Francisco.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43