Academy Award Predictions: Director and Writing


 

The Academy Awards are Sunday. In the run up, I'm previewing some of the big races and categories. Today, I'm looking at Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Adapted Screenplay.

Best Director:
* Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer
* Yorgos Lanthimos, Poor Things
* Martin Scorsese, Killers of the Flower Moon
* Justine Triet, Anatomy of a Fall
* Jonathan Glazer, The Zone of Interest

About: There are some great directors here including two who produced international films. The five films represented are well-crafted and diverse. But I think this will come down to Nolan. He's one of my favorite directors and I think this is his year.

Best Original Screenplay:
* Anatomy of a Fall, Justine Triet and Arthur Harai
* Maestro, Bradley Cooper and Josh Singer
* Past Lives, Celine Song
* May December, Sami Burch and Alex Mechanik
* The Holdovers, David Hemingson

About: Some interesting and diverse scripts here. I am a huge fan of Past Lives. If I could wave a magic wand, it would win. But, I think this will go to Anatomy of a Fall and its writers Triet and Harai.

Best Adapted Screenplay:
* Barbie, Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach
* Oppenheimer, Christopher Nolan
* Poor Things, Tony McNamara
* American Fiction, Cord Jefferson
* The Zone of Interest, Jonathan Glazer

About: Another packed group of scripts. I loved what Jefferson and McNamara did with their wildly creative films. Glazer's film is so subtle, yet packs an emotional punch. If I had my way, I'd love for Barbie to get the win. I think Gerwig deserves more recognition for what she did. But I think this is another one that will go to Nolan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43