Favorite Westerns, No. 40

Do you like a good Western? It's a classic genre in film and this year I've decided to look at some of my favorite Westerns. So, join me each Friday as I count down my favorite Westerns from No. 50 to No. 1. 

Toby Howard: I've been poor my whole life, like a disease passing from generation to generation. But not my boys, not anymore.

Hell or High Water (2016)
Starring
: Chris Pine, Ben Foster, and Jeff Bridges
Director: David McKenzie
About: This isn't a conventional Western. It's set in the modern era. But it has all the hallmarks of a good Western story. It's got a bank robbery, outlaws, a sheriff on his last ride and, of course, a larger theme about battling societal injustice. That's a credit to Taylor Sheridan, who's only become more prolific as a writer in the time since this film. The interesting twist here is you're rooting for the outlaws who are actually the ones battling injustice. Pine and Foster are great, but this is also a lot about Bridges, who will appear on this list again. That closing sequence between Bridges and Pine is also a lot of fun and very well written. This is a taut and engaging film, and an easy pick for me to land on this list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43