2004 Rewind: Garden State

 


Film released in 2004 are celebrating their 20th Anniversary this year. As part of a look back at films celebrating an anniversary in 2024, I'm looking at five films I liked from 2004. Today, it's Garden State.

Mark: Don't tease me about my hobbies. I don't tease you about being an asshole.

Garden State
Starring:
 Zach Braff, Natalie Portman, Peter Sarsgaard, and Ian Holm
Director: Zach Braff
About: There are films that just take you to a place and time. In 2004, I was recently out of college and starting my own adult journey. I was about the same age as Braff's character, back in my home town and trying to make something of myself. We didn't have the same childhood, but I identified with a lot of the journey and character here. I was also a huge fan of Scrubs, and so I loved the way this film came together. It's got an incredible soundtrack and a really fun story. I love the performances from Braff, Portman and Sarsgaard, too. There's a lot of lines and sequences I find funny, but there's also chunks of it that I find really moving. It wasn't the most popular film when it was released, but it really resonated with me and it still does. It makes me feel old that it's turning 20 this year, but it's a good movie to check out if you've never seen it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43