2009 Rewind: Up in the Air

 


This year films from 2009 are celebrating a 15th Anniversary. I will be looking at five films from 2009 that I've enjoyed as part of an anniversary celebration. Today, I'm looking at Up in the Air.

Ryan Bingham: [narrating last lines] Tonight most people will be welcomed home by jumping dogs and squeling kids and thousands more will ask about their day and tonight they'll sleep. The stars will wheel forth from their daytime hiding places; and one of those lights, slightly brighter than the rest, will be my wingtip passing over.

Up in the Air
Starring
: George Clooney, Anna Kendrick, Vera Farmiga, and Jason Bateman
Director: Jason Reitman
About: I wrap up my look at some favorites from 2009 with my favorite film from that year, Up in the Air. It was a Best Picture nominee and earned nominations for all its stars. I loved the film and I pulled hard for it. Naturally, it didn't win a thing. Still, 15 years later, it remains a personal favorite. In fact, it continues to climb up my personal rankings. I think it's an incredible performance from Clooney. In fact, it's my favorite performance from Clooney and Kendrick. It's also my favorite film from Reitman, who is a writer/director I quite enjoy. The script here is funny, moving, and thought-provoking. I've seen this movie more than 20 times, and it never fails to engage, move, and compel me. It's a near-perfect film for me. If you haven't seen it, I recommend checking it out. Beyond the main story, it's also an incredible snapshot of the struggles in America in 2008. It's a movie that deserved more recognition when it was released and deserves to be remembered years later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43